The Church of San Pietro Apostolo
The Church of San Pietro Apostolo was built on the site of a Roman temple of the God Jupiter in the 12th century. The early church was first dedicated to the Vergine Madre di Dio. It was rebuilt in 1138 by Leone Caetani the Count of Fondi.
The Exterior of the Church
The doorway is of the original church. Above the doorway is a lunette which has a recent mosaic (1970) by Domenico Purificato which depicts Christ’s delivery of the keys to San Pietro. Above this is a statue of San Pietro The Apostle seated on a throne, this is the work of Arnolfo di Cambio (1302). The bell tower dates back to the mid-thirteenth century.
The Interior of the Church of San Pietro
The interior has three naves. The pulpit is decorated with geometrical Cosmatesque mosaics and dates from the 13th century. It is supported on four columns resting on on two carved lions and two rams. In the sacristy there is a bishop’s chair made of marble which is also decorated with mosaic work. In this room there is an archive of gothic documents including the Exsultet parchment. The chapel of Loreto is located to the left of the entrance and has some frescoes dating from the fifteenth century. It was the burial site of the Counts of Fondi. The tomb of Cristoforo Caetani is in the right aisle at the end of the Cappella della Croce. An epigraph indicates that the monument was erected by his son Onorato II.
The church also has several paintings including triptychs, one depicts the Annunciation Admist the Figures of Saints (1499) and is by the artist Cristoforo Scacco, another (15th century) depicts the Majesty with Saint Peter and Saint Paul and is the work of Antoniazzo Romano. The church also keeps the relics of San Mauro, San Paterno and San Libertino.
The Church is situated in Piazza Del Duomo.